Historically, capture and analysis of individual sporting performance has been a manual process - one where coaches would makes notes or capture metrics in a spreadsheet for later analysis. Performa Sports sought to change that by digitising the analysis process using an iOS device and backend web application. Instil was hired to develop the iOS solution.
The application had to be designed with ease in mind, especially for video analysis which had to be simple and yet powerful enough to offer features such as variable speed playback, multi-video support, annotations, playlisting, zooming, and scrubbing.
The iOS was built in Objective-C (the project started in the days before Swift), and contains a number of custom components including bespoke video controls that enable users to edit and annotate video analysis instantly. Allowing coaches to annotate video with text or shapes from a ranging palette alongside variable playback speed and a multi-angle video stack, the app enables the game to be analysed from a broader perspective.
Our team also developed a bespoke syncing solution, that syncs real-time statistical analysis between devices and users across a network. The app works both online and offline, ensuring seamless syncing of data to the secure Performa cloud-based account securely, without loss or duplication.
All analysis and key information can be easily shared with colleagues and players alike through the use of data exporting features in various common formats, including video compositions of playlists built by users themselves.
- Continue to increase efficiency of statistical analysis in the app
- Further unification of video analysis tools within the app
- Support for more sports
- Increase video analysis tools palette to including finegrain timers
- Explore and identify better ways of communicating statistical data to key users
- Develop an individual player portal to enable players to devise own personal goals and view personal performance statistics