This course provides delegates with a practical understanding of securing software deployed into cloud environments including understanding of the issues and opportunities presented by serverless solutions.
In this new world attackers have moved with the times, shifting focus more than ever on finding vulnerabilities in your applications and cloud implementations rather than vulnerabilities in your infrastructure.
The course builds on our Internet Security course, but is designed for anyone building applications natively for the cloud (developers, architects, DevOps and DevSecOps).
- Learn how attackers are moving from finding vulnerabilities in your infrastructure to finding vulnerabilities in applications
- Learn reliable and resilient authentication methods in the era of microservices and serverless architectures
- Learn how to mitigate risk through detailed threat modeling at the application layer
- Vulnerability landscape for IaaS, SaaS and PaaS
- Current threats
Microservices and Serverless
- Monolith to microservice to serverless
- Removing expensive and redundant servers
- Securing access to your cloud environments including effective use of IAM technologies, certificates and secrets
- Understanding least privileged access in cloud environments
- Effective IAM policies, roles & groups
- Container security
- Defence in depth
- Security by design
- Understanding flaws
- Scanning infrastructure
- Automating vulnerability scanning
- Effective logging techniques
- Retention policies
- How, what and where to log
Tools to help
- Use of technologies to provide oversight to the cloud environment including automating protective actions
- Working with solutions including: AWS Config, Shield and GuardDuty
Authentication & Authorisation
- Exploration of Authentication and Authorisation methods and technologies
- Use of cloud specific systems including: Cognito, OAUTH2 and JWT
- Preventing lateral movement
Threat modelling serverless applications
- Discovering critical paths
- Reducing reliance and increase resilience
- Building Security Redundancy into your architecture
- Importance of Application layer threat modelling
- Discovering and building data flows
An introductory course ideal for developers at all levels. The course is mixture of demonstrations, horror stories and practical work for completion by the trainees.
About The Trainer
Simon Whittaker has been providing security services & training to both local organisations and some of the world’s largest companies for over 10 years.
Simon’s background in both development & System/Network Administration provides a great view on how best to compromise and secure required services & applications while also ensuring that training courses, content & practicals can be aimed at the right audiences.
Most of Simon’s work involves working with companies to test and improve secure coding practices, penetration & security testing and providing security consultancy to companies that are keen to improve their processes & procedures.
Simon also has great experience in developing & implementing efficient and effective practices across departments to assist with securing and retaining external quality recognition such as ISO27001.